Keeping your hot melt adhesive system clean may not be on the top of your priority list. However, take a look at your melter now, it is probably bronzed and blackened with old melted glue and char in the glue reservoir. That is what travels through your application system and onto your boxes. That is also what is potentially causing clogging issues and why you are replacing so many nozzles. Even though your melter looks like this now, it is possible to clean it and positively impact the longevity of your system. We recommend that you clean your system at least once every quarter. If you are running 24-hour shifts, 7 days a week, then you might want to schedule cleaning once a month.
Universal Systems SE sells a product called Purge Plus™ that, when used properly, will clean almost any melter. The directions for use are simple:
- Drain all hot melt from tank reservoir
- Fill reservoir with Purge Plus™
- Heat Purge Plus to 350°F – 375°F for approximately 45 minutes
- Open tank drain valve and remove tank filter assembly
- Slowly start pump and run Purge Plus™ through the tank manifold and into a meal container until reservoir is empty
- Stop pump, replace filter assembly and close drain valve
- Carefully wipe any remaining contaminants from tank reservoir
- Add new hot melt and recirculate through system
- Drain one cup from each hose
In addition to cleaning the tank reservoir and heated hot melt hoses, if you are running a ProBilt™ series melter, the exterior is manufactured out of 316 grade stainless steel. So, any stainless steel cleaner will shine the exterior of the tank.
For any additional questions about Purge Plus or how to properly clean your tank and hoses, please call a Universal Systems service technician at (561) 272-5442 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.