Keeping your hot melt adhesive system clean may seem like an impossible task. Take a look at your melter now, it is probably bronzed and blackened with old melted glue. Well guess what…that is what travels through your application system and onto your boxes. Also, do you see all of the little bits of blackened glue? That is called char, and it is a big problem for your equipment. Even though your melter looks like this now, it is possible to keep it clean “ish”. Now, this melter runs in a packaging line, most likely 8 – 12 hours per day, every day, so there is no way that tit is going to stay pristine or even look clean after its first use. However, there are a few tricks of the trade to keep your melter looking good and running even better for decades to come.
Universal Systems SE sells a product called Purge Plus™ that, when used properly, will clean almost any melter. The directions for use are simple:
- Drain all hot melt from tank reservoir
- Fill reservoir with Purge Plus™
- Heat Purge Plus to 350°F – 375°F for approximately 45 minutes
- Open tank drain valve and remove tank filter assembly
- Slowly start pump and run Purge Plus™ through the tank manifold and into a meal container until reservoir is empty
- Stop pump, replace filter assembly and close drain valve
- Carefully wipe any remaining contaminants from tank reservoir
- Add new hot melt and recirculate through system
- Drain one cup from each hose
In addition to cleaning the tank reservoir and heated hot melt hoses, if you are running a ProBilt™ series melter, the exterior is manufactured out of 316 grade stainless steel. So, any stainless steel cleaner will shine the exterior of the tank.
For any additional questions about Purge Plus or how to properly clean your tank and hoses, please call a Universal Systems service technician at (561) 272-5442 or email email@example.com.